orbit: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ôr'bit), [key]
- the curved path, usually elliptical, described by a planet, satellite, spaceship, etc., around a celestial body, as the sun.
- the usual course of one's life or range of one's activities.
- the sphere of power or influence, as of a nation or person: a small nation in the Russian orbit.
- (in Bohr theory) the path traced by an electron revolving around the nucleus of an atom.
- an orb or sphere.
- the bony cavity of the skull that contains the eye; eye socket.
- the eye.
- the part surrounding the eye of a bird or insect.
- to move or travel around in an orbital or elliptical path: The earth orbits the sun once every 365.25 days.
- to send into orbit, as a satellite.
- to go or travel in an orbit.
- orbit (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.