Synonyms of opposite
- 1. antonym, opposite word, opposite, word
- usage: a word that expresses a meaning opposed to the meaning of another word, in which case the two words are antonyms of each other; "to him the antonym of `gay' was `depressed'"
- 2. reverse, contrary, opposite, opposition, oppositeness
- usage: a relation of direct opposition; "we thought Sue was older than Bill but just the reverse was true"
- 3. opposition, opponent, opposite, contestant
- usage: a contestant that you are matched against
- 4. inverse, opposite, opposition, oppositeness
- usage: something inverted in sequence or character or effect; "when the direct approach failed he tried the inverse"
- 1. opposite, other (vs. same)
- usage: being directly across from each other; facing; "And I on the opposite shore will be, ready to ride and spread the alarm"- Longfellow; "we lived on opposite sides of the street"; "at opposite poles"
- 2. opposite (vs. alternate), paired
- usage: of leaves etc; growing in pairs on either side of a stem; "opposite leaves"
- 3. opposite, other (vs. same)
- usage: moving or facing away from each other; "looking in opposite directions"; "they went in opposite directions"
- 4. opposite, other (vs. same)
- usage: the other one of a complementary pair; "the opposite sex"; "the two chess kings are set up on squares of opposite colors"
- 5. opposite, different (vs. same)
- usage: altogether different in nature or quality or significance; "the medicine's effect was opposite to that intended"; "it is said that opposite characters make a union happiest"- Charles Reade
- 6. diametric, diametrical, opposite, polar, different (vs. same)
- usage: characterized by opposite extremes; completely opposed; "in diametric contradiction to his claims"; "diametrical (or opposite) points of view"; "opposite meanings"; "extreme and indefensible polar positions"
- 1. face-to-face, opposite
- usage: directly facing each other; "the two photographs lay face-to-face on the table"; "lived all their lives in houses face-to-face across the street"; "they sat opposite at the table"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of opposite (Dictionary)