Meaning of opposite
Pronunciation: (op'u-zit, -sit), [key]
- situated, placed, or lying face to face with something else or each other, or in corresponding positions with relation to an intervening line, space, or thing: opposite ends of a room.
- contrary or radically different in some respect common to both, as in nature, qualities, direction, result, or significance; opposed: opposite sides in a controversy; opposite directions.
- situated on diametrically opposed sides of an axis, as leaves when there are two on one node.
- having one organ vertically above another; superimposed.
- adverse or inimical.
- a person or thing that is opposite or contrary.
- an antonym.
- an opponent; antagonist.
- across from; facing: The guest of honor sat opposite me at the banquet.
- in a role parallel or complementary to: He has played opposite many leading ladies.
- on opposite sides.
- on the opposite side: I was at one end and she sat opposite.
- to the opposite side; in the opposite direction: I went to the left balcony, and he went opposite.
- opposite (Thesaurus)