- 1. military officer, officer, serviceman, military man, man, military personnel
- usage: any person in the armed services who holds a position of authority or command; "an officer is responsible for the lives of his men"
- 2. officeholder, officer, official, functionary, holder
- usage: someone who is appointed or elected to an office and who holds a position of trust; "he is an officer of the court"; "the club elected its officers for the coming year"
- 3. policeman, police officer, officer, lawman, law officer, peace officer
- usage: a member of a police force; "it was an accident, officer"
- 4. officer, ship's officer, mariner, seaman, tar, Jack-tar, Jack, old salt, seafarer, gob, sea dog
- usage: a person authorized to serve in a position of authority on a vessel; "he is the officer in charge of the ship's engines"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. officer, command
- usage: direct or command as an officer
All rights reserved.
See also: officer (Dictionary)