officer: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ô'fu-sur, of'u-), [key]
- a person who holds a position of rank or authority in the army, navy, air force, or any similar organization, esp. one who holds a commission.
- a member of a police department or a constable.
- a person licensed to take full or partial responsibility for the operation of a merchant ship or other large civilian ship; a master or mate.
- a person appointed or elected to some position of responsibility or authority in the government, a corporation, a society, etc.
- (in some honorary orders) a member of any rank except the lowest.
- an agent.
- to furnish with officers.
- to command or direct as an officer does.
- to direct, conduct, or manage.
- officer (Thesaurus)