Synonyms of leave
- 1. leave, leave of absence, time off
- usage: the period of time during which you are absent from work or duty; "a ten day's leave to visit his mother"
- 2. leave, permission
- usage: permission to do something; "she was granted leave to speak"
- 3. farewell, leave, leave-taking, parting, departure, going, going away, leaving
- usage: the act of departing politely; "he disliked long farewells"; "he took his leave"; "parting is such sweet sorrow"
- 1. leave, go forth, go away
- usage: go away from a place; "At what time does your train leave?"; "She didn't leave until midnight"; "The ship leaves at midnight"
- 2. leave
- usage: go and leave behind, either intentionally or by neglect or forgetfulness; "She left a mess when she moved out"; "His good luck finally left him"; "her husband left her after 20 years of marriage"; "she wept thinking she had been left behind"
- 3. leave, make, get
- usage: act or be so as to become in a specified state; "The inflation left them penniless"; "The president's remarks left us speechless"
- 4. leave, leave alone, leave behind, refrain, forbear
- usage: leave unchanged or undisturbed or refrain from taking; "leave it as is"; "leave the young fawn alone"; "leave the flowers that you see in the park behind"
- 5. exit, go out, get out, leave, move
- usage: move out of or depart from; "leave the room"; "the fugitive has left the country"
- 6. leave, allow for, allow, provide, yield, give, afford
- usage: make a possibility or provide opportunity for; permit to be attainable or cause to remain; "This leaves no room for improvement"; "The evidence allows only one conclusion"; "allow for mistakes"; "leave lots of time for the trip"; "This procedure provides for lots of leeway"
- 7. leave, result, lead, produce, bring about, give rise
- usage: have as a result or residue; "The water left a mark on the silk dress"; "Her blood left a stain on the napkin"
- 8. leave, depart, pull up stakes, change
- usage: remove oneself from an association with or participation in; "She wants to leave"; "The teenager left home"; "She left her position with the Red Cross"; "He left the Senate after two terms"; "after 20 years with the same company, she pulled up stakes"
- 9. entrust, leave, pass, hand, reach, pass on, turn over, give
- usage: put into the care or protection of someone; "He left the decision to his deputy"; "leave your child the nurse's care"
- 10. bequeath, will, leave, give, gift, present
- usage: leave or give by will after one's death; "My aunt bequeathed me all her jewelry"; "My grandfather left me his entire estate"
- 11. leave, have
- usage: have left or have as a remainder; "That left the four of us"; "19 minus 8 leaves 11"
- 12. leave, leave behind
- usage: be survived by after one's death; "He left six children"; "At her death, she left behind her husband and 11 cats"
- 13. impart, leave, give, pass on, tell
- usage: transmit (knowledge or skills); "give a secret to the Russians"; "leave your name and address here"; "impart a new skill to the students"
- 14. forget, leave, lose
- usage: leave behind unintentionally; "I forgot my umbrella in the restaurant"; "I left my keys inside the car and locked the doors"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of leave (Dictionary)