leave: Meaning and Definition of
— v., left, leav•ing.
- to go out of or away from, as a place: to leave the house.
- to depart from permanently; quit: to leave a job.
- to let remain or have remaining behind after going, disappearing, ceasing, etc.: I left my wallet home. The wound left a scar.
- to allow to remain in the same place, condition, etc.: Is there any coffee left?
- to let stay or be as specified: to leave a door unlocked.
- to let (a person or animal) remain in a position to do something without interference: We left him to his work.
- to let (a thing) remain for action or decision: We left the details to the lawyer.
- to give in charge; deposit; entrust: Leave the package with the receptionist. I left my name and phone number.
- to stop; cease; give up: He left music to study law.
- to disregard; neglect: We will leave this for the moment and concentrate on the major problem.
- to give for use after one's death or departure: to leave all one's money to charity.
- to have remaining after death: He leaves a wife and three children.
- to have as a remainder after subtraction: 2 from 4 leaves 2.
- let (defs. 1, 2, 6).
- to go away, depart, or set out: We leave for Europe tomorrow.
- See(def. 4).
- It had stopped raining, so we left off our coats.
- to desist from; cease; stop; abandon.
- to stop using or wearing:It had stopped raining, so we left off our coats.
- to omit:to leave a name off a list.
- to omit; exclude: She left out an important detail in her account.
- permission to do something: to beg leave to go elsewhere.
- permission to be absent, as from work or military duty: The firm offers a maternity leave as part of its benefit program.
- the time this permission lasts: 30 days' leave.
- a parting; departure; farewell: He took his leave before the formal ceremonies began. We took leave of them after dinner.
- draft (def. 23).
- the pin or pins in upright position after the bowl of the first ball.
— leaved, leav•ing.
- to put forth leaves; leaf.
- leave (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.