WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. institution, establishment, organization, organisation
- usage: an organization founded and united for a specific purpose
- 2. institution, establishment
- usage: an establishment consisting of a building or complex of buildings where an organization for the promotion of some cause is situated
- 3. institution, custom, tradition
- usage: a custom that for a long time has been an important feature of some group or society; "the institution of marriage"; "the institution of slavery"; "he had become an institution in the theater"
- 4. initiation, founding, foundation, institution, origination, creation, innovation, introduction, instauration, beginning, start, commencement
- usage: the act of starting something for the first time; introducing something new; "she looked forward to her initiation as an adult"; "the foundation of a new scientific society"
- 5. mental hospital, psychiatric hospital, mental institution, institution, mental home, insane asylum, asylum, hospital, infirmary
- usage: a hospital for mentally incompetent or unbalanced person
All rights reserved.
See also: institution (Dictionary)