institution: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in"sti-t'shun, -ty'-), [key]
- an organization, establishment, foundation, society, or the like, devoted to the promotion of a particular cause or program, esp. one of a public, educational, or charitable character: This college is the best institution of its kind.
- the building devoted to such work.
- a public or private place for the care or confinement of inmates, esp. mental patients or other disabled or handicapped persons.
- a well-established and structured pattern of behavior or of relationships that is accepted as a fundamental part of a culture, as marriage: the institution of the family.
- any established law, custom, etc.
- any familiar, long-established person, thing, or practice; fixture.
- the act of instituting or setting up; establishment: the institution of laws.
- the origination of the Eucharist, and enactment of its observance, by Christ.
- the investment of a member of the clergy with a spiritual charge.
- institution (Thesaurus)