WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. fireplace, hearth, open fireplace, recess, niche
- usage: an open recess in a wall at the base of a chimney where a fire can be built; "the fireplace was so large you could walk inside it"; "he laid a fire in the hearth and lit it"; "the hearth was black with the charcoal of many fires"
- 2. hearth, fireside, dwelling, home, domicile, abode, habitation, dwelling house
- usage: home symbolized as a part of the fireplace; "driven from hearth and home"; "fighting in defense of their firesides"
- 3. hearth, fireside, area, country
- usage: an area near a fireplace (usually paved and extending out into a room); "they sat on the hearth and warmed themselves before the fire"
All rights reserved.
See also: hearth (Dictionary)