hearth: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (härth), [key]
- the floor of a fireplace, usually of stone, brick, etc., often extending a short distance into a room.
- home; fireside: the joys of family and hearth.
- the lower part of a blast furnace, cupola, etc., in which the molten metal collects and from which it is tapped out. See diag. underblast furnace.
- the part of an open hearth, reverberatory furnace, etc., upon which the charge is placed and melted down or refined.
- a brazier or chafing dish for burning charcoal.
- hearth (Thesaurus)