WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. Gospel, Gospels, evangel, sacred text, sacred writing, religious writing, religious text
- usage: the four books in the New Testament (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) that tell the story of Christ's life and teachings
- 2. gospel, gospel truth, truth, true statement
- usage: an unquestionable truth; "his word was gospel"
- 3. gospel, gospel singing, folk music, ethnic music, folk
- usage: folk music consisting of a genre of a cappella music originating with Black slaves in the United States and featuring call and response; influential on the development of other genres of popular music (especially soul)
- 4. religious doctrine, church doctrine, gospel, creed, doctrine, philosophy, philosophical system, school of thought, ism
- usage: the written body of teachings of a religious group that are generally accepted by that group
- 5. gospel, doctrine, philosophy, philosophical system, school of thought, ism
- usage: a doctrine that is believed to be of great importance; "Newton's writings were gospel for those who followed"
All rights reserved.
See also: gospel (Dictionary)