- 1. gauge, gage, measuring instrument, measuring system, measuring device
- usage: a measuring instrument for measuring and indicating a quantity such as the thickness of wire or the amount of rain etc.
- 2. gauge, standard of measurement, standard, criterion, measure, touchstone
- usage: accepted or approved instance or example of a quantity or quality against which others are judged or measured or compared
- 3. gauge, distance, length
- usage: the distance between the rails of a railway or between the wheels of a train
- 4. gauge, thickness
- usage: the thickness of wire
- 5. bore, gauge, caliber, calibre, diameter, diam
- usage: diameter of a tube or gun barrel
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. estimate, gauge, approximate, guess, judge, calculate, cipher, cypher, compute, work out, reckon, figure
- usage: judge tentatively or form an estimate of (quantities or time); "I estimate this chicken to weigh three pounds"
- 2. gauge, rub
- usage: rub to a uniform size; "gauge bricks"
- 3. gauge, determine, find, find out, ascertain
- usage: determine the capacity, volume, or contents of by measurement and calculation; "gauge the wine barrels"
- 4. gauge, quantify, measure
- usage: measure precisely and against a standard; "the wire is gauged"
- 5. gauge, standardize, standardise
- usage: adapt to a specified measurement; "gauge the instruments"
- 6. gauge, blend, flux, mix, conflate, commingle, immix, fuse, coalesce, meld, combine, merge
- usage: mix in specific proportions; "gauge plaster"
All rights reserved.
See also: gauge (Dictionary)