WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. kernel, substance, core, center, centre, essence, gist, heart, heart and soul, inwardness, marrow, meat, nub, pith, sum, nitty-gritty, content, cognitive content, mental object
- usage: the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience; "the gist of the prosecutor's argument"; "the heart and soul of the Republican Party"; "the nub of the story"
- 2. essence, substance
- usage: any substance possessing to a high degree the predominant properties of a plant or drug or other natural product from which it is extracted
- 3. effect, essence, burden, core, gist, meaning, significance, signification, import
- usage: the central meaning or theme of a speech or literary work
- 4. perfume, essence, toiletry, toilet articles
- usage: a toiletry that emits and diffuses a fragrant odor
All rights reserved.
See also: essence (Dictionary)