Meaning of essence
Pronunciation: (es'uns), [key]
- the basic, real, and invariable nature of a thing or its significant individual feature or features: Freedom is the very essence of our democracy.
- a substance obtained from a plant, drug, or the like, by distillation, infusion, etc., and containing its characteristic properties in concentrated form.
- an alcoholic solution of an essential oil; spirit.
- a perfume; scent.
- the inward nature, true substance, or constitution of anything, as opposed to what is accidental, phenomenal, illusory, etc.
- something that exists, esp. a spiritual or immaterial entity.
- essentially; at bottom, often despite appearances: For all his bluster, he is in essence a shy person.
- absolutely essential; critical; crucial: In chess, cool nerves are of the essence.
- essence (Thesaurus)