WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. erratic, fickle, mercurial, quicksilver(prenominal), changeable (vs. unchangeable), changeful
- usage: liable to sudden unpredictable change; "erratic behavior"; "fickle weather"; "mercurial twists of temperament"; "a quicksilver character, cool and willful at one moment, utterly fragile the next"
- 2. erratic, planetary, wandering, unsettled (vs. settled)
- usage: having no fixed course; "an erratic comet"; "his life followed a wandering course"; "a planetary vagabond"
- 3. erratic, temperamental, unreliable (vs. reliable), undependable (vs. dependable)
- usage: likely to perform unpredictably; "erratic winds are the bane of a sailor"; "a temperamental motor; sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldn't"; "that beautiful but temperamental instrument the flute"- Osbert Lancaster
All rights reserved.
See also: erratic (Dictionary)