WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. emphasis, accent, importance, grandness
- usage: special importance or significance; "the red light gave the central figure increased emphasis"; "the room was decorated in shades of grey with distinctive red accents"
- 2. vehemence, emphasis, intensity, intensiveness
- usage: intensity or forcefulness of expression; "the vehemence of his denial"; "his emphasis on civil rights"
- 3. emphasis, rhetorical device
- usage: special and significant stress by means of position or repetition e.g.
- 4. stress, emphasis, accent, prosody, inflection
- usage: the relative prominence of a syllable or musical note (especially with regard to stress or pitch); "he put the stress on the wrong syllable"
All rights reserved.
See also: emphasis (Dictionary)