Meaning of emphasis
Pronunciation: (em'fu-sis), [key]
— pl. -ses
- special stress laid upon, or importance attached to, anything: The president's statement gave emphasis to the budgetary crisis.
- something that is given great stress or importance: Morality was the emphasis of his speech.
- special and significant stress of voice laid on particular words or syllables.
- stress laid on particular words, by means of position, repetition, or other indication.
- intensity or force of expression, action, etc.: Determination lent emphasis to his proposals.
- prominence, as of form or outline: The background detracts from the emphasis of the figure.
- emphasis (Thesaurus)