WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. attempt, effort, endeavor, endeavour, try, activity
- usage: earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something; "made an effort to cover all the reading material"; "wished him luck in his endeavor"; "she gave it a good try"
- 2. effort, elbow grease, exertion, travail, sweat, labor, labour, toil
- usage: use of physical or mental energy; hard work; "he got an A for effort"; "they managed only with great exertion"
- 3. feat, effort, exploit, accomplishment, achievement
- usage: a notable achievement; "he performed a great feat"; "the book was her finest effort"
- 4. campaign, cause, crusade, drive, movement, effort, venture
- usage: a series of actions advancing a principle or tending toward a particular end; "he supported populist campaigns"; "they worked in the cause of world peace"; "the team was ready for a drive toward the pennant"; "the movement to end slavery"; "contributed to the war effort"
All rights reserved.
See also: effort (Dictionary)