WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. development, improvement
- usage: act of improving by expanding or enlarging or refining; "he congratulated them on their development of a plan to meet the emergency"; "they funded research and development"
- 2. development, evolution, process, physical process
- usage: a process in which something passes by degrees to a different stage (especially a more advanced or mature stage); "the development of his ideas took many years"; "the evolution of Greek civilization"; "the slow development of her skill as a writer"
- 3. growth, growing, maturation, development, ontogeny, ontogenesis, organic process, biological process
- usage: (biology) the process of an individual organism growing organically; a purely biological unfolding of events involved in an organism changing gradually from a simple to a more complex level; "he proposed an indicator of osseous development in children"
- 4. development, change, alteration, modification
- usage: a recent event that has some relevance for the present situation; "recent developments in Iraq"; "what a revolting development!"
- 5. exploitation, development, use, usage, utilization, utilisation, employment, exercise
- usage: the act of making some area of land or water more profitable or productive or useful; "the development of Alaskan resources"; "the exploitation of copper deposits"
- 6. development, district, territory, territorial dominion, dominion
- usage: a district that has been developed to serve some purpose; "such land is practical for small park developments"
- 7. development, improvement, melioration
- usage: a state in which things are improving; the result of developing (as in the early part of a game of chess); "after he saw the latest development he changed his mind and became a supporter"; "in chess your should take care of your development before moving your queen"
- 8. development, developing, processing
- usage: processing a photosensitive material in order to make an image visible; "the development and printing of his pictures took only two hours"
- 9. development, section, subdivision
- usage: (music) the section of a composition or movement (especially in sonata form) where the major musical themes are developed and elaborated
All rights reserved.
See also: development (Dictionary)