WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. defend, support, fend for, argue, reason
- usage: argue or speak in defense of; "She supported the motion to strike"
- 2. defend, prevent, keep
- usage: be on the defensive; act against an attack
- 3. defend, guard, hold, protect
- usage: protect against a challenge or attack; "Hold that position behind the trees!"; "Hold the bridge against the enemy's attacks"
- 4. fight, oppose, fight back, fight down, defend, contend, fight, struggle
- usage: fight against or resist strongly; "The senator said he would oppose the bill"; "Don't fight it!"
- 5. champion, defend, back, endorse, indorse, plump for, plunk for, support
- usage: protect or fight for as a champion
- 6. defend, represent
- usage: be the defense counsel for someone in a trial; "Ms. Smith will represent the defendant"
- 7. maintain, defend, affirm
- usage: state or assert; "He maintained his innocence"
All rights reserved.
See also: defend (Dictionary)