defend: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (di-fend'), [key]
- to ward off attack from; guard against assault or injury (usually fol. by from or against): The sentry defended the gate against sudden attack.
- to maintain by argument, evidence, etc.; uphold: She defended her claim successfully.
- to contest (a legal charge, claim, etc.).
- to serve as attorney for (a defendant): He has defended some of the most notorious criminals.
- to support (an argument, theory, etc.) in the face of criticism; prove the validity of (a dissertation, thesis, or the like) by answering arguments and questions put by a committee of specialists.
- to attempt to retain (a championship title, position, etc.), as in a competition against a challenger.
- to enter or make a defense.
- defend (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.