Synonyms of clinch
- 1. clinch, maneuver, manoeuvre, evasive action
- usage: (boxing) the act of one boxer holding onto the other to avoid being hit and to rest momentarily
- 2. clinch, clench, noose, running noose, slip noose
- usage: a small slip noose made with seizing
- 3. clinch, fastener, fastening, holdfast, fixing
- usage: the flattened part of a nail or bolt or rivet
- 4. clamp, clinch, holding device
- usage: a device (generally used by carpenters) that holds things firmly together
- 5. hug, clinch, squeeze, embrace, embracing, embracement
- usage: a tight or amorous embrace; "come here and give me a big hug"
- 1. clinch, fasten, fix, secure
- usage: secure or fasten by flattening the ends of nails or bolts; "The girder was clinched into the wall"
- 2. clinch, hold, take hold
- usage: hold a boxing opponent with one or both arms so as to prevent punches
- 3. clench, clinch, seize, prehend, clutch
- usage: hold in a tight grasp; "clench a steering wheel"
- 4. clinch, embrace, hug, bosom, squeeze
- usage: embrace amorously
- 5. clinch, fasten, fix, secure
- usage: flatten the ends (of nails and rivets); "the nails were clinched"
- 6. clinch, settle, square off, square up, determine
- usage: settle conclusively; "clinch a deal"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of clinch (Dictionary)