- 1. rampart, bulwark, wall, embankment
- usage: an embankment built around a space for defensive purposes; "they stormed the ramparts of the city"; "they blew the trumpet and the walls came tumbling down"
- 2. bulwark, barrier
- usage: a fencelike structure around a deck (usually plural)
- 3. breakwater, groin, groyne, mole, bulwark, seawall, jetty, barrier
- usage: a protective structure of stone or concrete; extends from shore into the water to prevent a beach from washing away
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. bulwark, defend
- usage: defend with a bulwark
All rights reserved.
See also: bulwark (Dictionary)