Meaning of bulwark
Pronunciation: (bool'wurk, -wôrk, bul'-), [key]
- a wall of earth or other material built for defense; rampart.
- any protection against external danger, injury, or annoyance: The new dam was a bulwark against future floods.
- any person or thing giving strong support or encouragement in time of need, danger, or doubt: Religion was his bulwark.
- Usually,a solid wall enclosing the perimeter of a weather or main deck for the protection of persons or objects on deck.
- to fortify or protect with a bulwark; secure by or as if by a fortification.
- bulwark (Thesaurus)