Synonyms of bay
- 1. bay, embayment, body of water, water
- usage: an indentation of a shoreline larger than a cove but smaller than a gulf
- 2. bay, cry
- usage: the sound of a hound on the scent
- 3. true laurel, bay, bay laurel, bay tree, Laurus nobilis, laurel
- usage: small Mediterranean evergreen tree with small blackish berries and glossy aromatic leaves used for flavoring in cooking; also used by ancient Greeks to crown victors
- 4. bay, compartment
- usage: a compartment on a ship between decks; often used as a hospital; "they put him in the sick bay"
- 5. bay, compartment
- usage: a compartment in an aircraft used for some specific purpose; "he opened the bomb bay"
- 6. alcove, bay, recess, niche
- usage: a small recess opening off a larger room
- 7. bay, horse, Equus caballus
- usage: a horse of a moderate reddish-brown color
- 1. bay, talk, speak, utter, mouth, verbalize, verbalise
- usage: utter in deep prolonged tones
- 2. bay, quest, bark
- usage: bark with prolonged noises, of dogs
- 1. bay, colored (vs. uncolored), coloured, colorful
- usage: (used of animals especially a horse) of a moderate reddish-brown color
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of bay (Dictionary)