Meaning of bay
- a body of water forming an indentation of the shoreline, larger than a cove but smaller than a gulf.
- an arm of a swamp.
- a recess of land, partly surrounded by hills.
- an arm of a prairie or swamp, extending into woods and partly surrounded by them.
- The nave is divided into six bays.
- any of a number of similar major vertical divisions of a large interior, wall, etc.:The nave is divided into six bays.
- a division of a window between a mullion and an adjoining mullion or jamb.
- Seebay window(def. 1).
- a bomb bay; an engine bay.
- any portion of an airplane set off by two successive bulkheads or other bracing members.
- a compartment in an aircraft:a bomb bay; an engine bay.
- a compartment, as in a barn for storing hay.
- an open compartment in the console housing a computer's CPU in which a disk drive, tape drive, etc., may be installed.
- the deck space between the anchor windlass and the stem of a vessel.
- Seesick bay.
- a deep, prolonged howl, as of a hound on the scent.
- the position or stand of an animal or fugitive that is forced to turn and resist pursuers because it is no longer possible to flee (usually prec. by at or to): a stag at bay; to bring an escaped convict to bay.
- the situation of a person or thing that is forced actively to oppose or to succumb to some adverse condition (usually prec. by at or to).
- the situation of being actively opposed by an animal, person, etc., so as to be powerless to act fully (often prec. by at).
- to howl, esp. with a deep, prolonged sound, as a hound on the scent.
- to assail with deep, prolonged howling: a troubled hound baying the moon.
- to bring to or to hold at bay: A dog bays its quarry.
- laurel (def. 1).
- Also calleda tropical American shrub, Pimenta racemosa, having aromatic leaves that are used in making bay oil and bay rum.
- any of various laurellike trees or shrubs.
- any of several magnolias.
- an honorary garland or crown bestowed for military victory, literary excellence, etc.
- fame; renown.
- reddish brown.
- a horse or other animal of reddish-brown color.
- (of horses or other animals) having a reddish-brown body.
- bay (Thesaurus)