WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. association, organization, organisation
- usage: a formal organization of people or groups of people; "he joined the Modern Language Association"
- 2. association, social activity
- usage: the act of consorting with or joining with others; "you cannot be convicted of criminal guilt by association"
- 3. association, union, unification
- usage: the state of being connected together as in memory or imagination; "his association of his father with being beaten was too strong to break"
- 4. association, connection, connexion, memory, remembering
- usage: the process of bringing ideas or events together in memory or imagination; "conditioning is a form of learning by association"
- 5. affiliation, association, tie, tie-up, relationship
- usage: a social or business relationship; "a valuable financial affiliation"; "he was sorry he had to sever his ties with other members of the team"; "many close associations with England"
- 6. association, relation
- usage: a relation resulting from interaction or dependence; "flints were found in association with the prehistoric remains of the bear"; "the host is not always injured by association with a parasite"
- 7. association, chemical process, chemical change, chemical action
- usage: (chemistry) any process of combination (especially in solution) that depends on relatively weak chemical bonding
- 8. association, group, grouping
- usage: (ecology) a group of organisms (plants and animals) that live together in a certain geographical region and constitute a community with a few dominant species
All rights reserved.
See also: association (Dictionary)