WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. originate, arise, rise, develop, uprise, spring up, grow, become
- usage: come into existence; take on form or shape; "A new religious movement originated in that country"; "a love that sprang up from friendship"; "the idea for the book grew out of a short story"; "An interesting phenomenon uprose"
- 2. arise, come up, bob up, become
- usage: originate or come into being; "a question arose"
- 3. arise, rise, uprise, get up, stand up, change posture
- usage: rise to one's feet; "The audience got up and applauded"
- 4. arise, come up, happen, hap, go on, pass off, occur, pass, fall out, come about, take place
- usage: result or issue; "A slight unpleasantness arose from this discussion"
- 5. rise, lift, arise, move up, go up, come up, uprise, travel, go, move, locomote
- usage: move upward; "The fog lifted"; "The smoke arose from the forest fire"; "The mist uprose from the meadows"
- 6. rebel, arise, rise, rise up, protest, resist, dissent
- usage: take part in a rebellion; renounce a former allegiance
- 7. get up, turn out, arise, uprise, rise
- usage: get up and out of bed; "I get up at 7 A.M. every day"; "They rose early"; "He uprose at night"
All rights reserved.
See also: arise (Dictionary)