arise: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-rīz'), [key]
— a•rose, a•ris•en a•ris•ing.
- to get up from sitting, lying, or kneeling; rise: He arose from his chair when she entered the room.
- to awaken; wake up: He arose at sunrise to get an early start to the beach.
- to move upward; mount; ascend: A thin curl of smoke arose lazily from the cabin.
- to come into being, action, or notice; originate; appear; spring up: New problems arise daily.
- to result or proceed; spring or issue (sometimes fol. by from): It is difficult to foresee the consequences that may arise from this action. After such destruction many problems in resettlement often arise.
- arise (Thesaurus)