WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. area, country, region
- usage: a particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography); "it was a mountainous area"; "Bible country"
- 2. area, topic, subject, issue, matter
- usage: a subject of study; "it was his area of specialization"; "areas of interest include..."
- 3. area, region, body part
- usage: a part of an animal that has a special function or is supplied by a given artery or nerve; "in the abdominal region"
- 4. sphere, domain, area, orbit, field, arena, environment
- usage: a particular environment or walk of life; "his social sphere is limited"; "it was a closed area of employment"; "he's out of my orbit"
- 5. area, structure, construction
- usage: a part of a structure having some specific characteristic or function; "the spacious cooking area provided plenty of room for servants"
- 6. area, expanse, surface area, extent
- usage: the extent of a 2-dimensional surface enclosed within a boundary; "the area of a rectangle"; "it was about 500 square feet in area"
All rights reserved.
See also: area (Dictionary)