Meaning of area
Pronunciation: (âr'ē-u), [key]
- any particular extent of space or surface; part: the dark areas in the painting; the dusty area of the room.
- a geographical region; tract: the Chicago area; the unsettled areas along the frontier.
- any section reserved for a specific function: the business area of a town; the dining area of a house.
- extent, range, or scope: inquiries that embrace the whole area of science.
- field of study, or a branch of a field of study: Related areas of inquiry often reflect borrowed notions.
- a piece of unoccupied ground; an open space.
- the space or site on which a building stands; the yard attached to or surrounding a house.
- areaway (def. 1).
- the quantitative measure of a plane or curved surface; two-dimensional extent.
- a zone of the cerebral cortex having a specific function: The damage to Broca's area affected his speech.
- area (Thesaurus)