What Do You Know About Neptune?
How many main rings does Neptune have surrounding it?
- Scientists have found at least 5 rings and 4 ring arcs around Neptune, formed of debris that has been trapped by gravity surrounding the planet.
How long does one year on Neptune last in terms of Earth years?
- Neptune has an incredibly wide orbit as the last planet in the Solar System, and so one year is the equivalent of 165 years on Earth.
Approximately how long does it take for Neptune to make one rotation or a full Neptune day?
- Because Neptune rotates very quickly, one day on the planet only lasts about 16 hours.
What was the Roman god Neptune, the namesake of the planet, known for?
- Equivalent to the Greek deity Poseidon, Neptune was first worshipped as the ruler of fresh water, and later, the ocean.
How many moons does Neptune have?
- One of Neptune's moons is called Triton and is measured as the coldest planetary world in our Solar System at -391°F.
What is the average temperature on Neptune?
- Neptune is an incredibly cold place, which is no surprise as it is the farthest planet from the sun.
How can you describe Neptune's composition?
- Neptune is the smallest of the four gas giants in the Solar System, though it has a heavy atmosphere that gives it a hefty mass.
When was Neptune first observed by the human eye?
- Because Neptune has not been visible to the naked eye, being too far away from Earth, its mathematical positioning was first defined and then recorded.
How many spacecraft have flown past Neptune?
- Only the 1989 Voyager 2 expedition has passed by Neptune, with all subsequent exploration of the planet undertaken from Earth with high-powered NASA telescopes.
What are the primary gases that make up Neptune's atmosphere?
- Like other gas planets, Neptune has a complex atmosphere but the methane present there actually contributes to the planet's otherworldly blue color by absorbing red light.