Which of These Stories Were Inspired by Real People?
The fictional book Circling the Sun was based on the real life of which record-setting African aviator?
- Paula McLain's Circling the Sun, though fiction, is based on the life of aviator Beryl Markham and a passionate love triangle.
West of Sunset follows what author's life as he tried to make it in Hollywood?
- West of Sunset, written by Stewart O'nan, follows F. Scott Fitzgerald's time in Hollywood as he tried to support his wife and daughter.
The Invention of Wings follows the story of which 19th century abolitionist and writer?
- The Invention of Wings, written by Sue Monk Kidd, is a historical fiction novel that contains facts about the 19th century abolitionist Sarah Grimke.
Vanessa and Her Sister follows the sister of which famous female author?
- Vanessa and Her Sister, written by Priya Pamar, follows the painter Vanessa, whose sister happens to be Virginia Woolf.
The Marriage of Opposites is about which woman whose love affair produced the great painter Camille Pissaro?
- Alice Hoffman wrote The Marriage of Opposites to highlight the love affair of Rachel Pomie Petit Pissaro, which produced the famous painter Camille Pissaro.
The Master, which follows the author of The Portrait of a Lady, is based on who?
- Colm Toibin's The Master follows the life of Henry James after he decided to move to Paris, Rome, Venice, and London to pursue his writing dreams.
Stolen Beauty follows the love affair of Adele Bloch-Bauer and which painter in 1903?
- Laurie Lico Albanese's Stolen Beauty follows the 1903 love affair between Adele Bloch-Bauer and Gustav Klimit and their niece's attempt to protect their legacy from the Nazis.
White Houses delves into the relationship between reporter Lorena "Hick" Hickock and what first lady?
- Amy Bloom's White Houses is based on the alleged relationship between First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt and reporter Lorena “Hick” Hickok.
Which Agatha Christie book was based on a true murder and kidnapping case?
- Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express was based on the real kidnapping and murder of 20-year-old Charles Lindburgh.
Which Katherine Applegate novel is based on a real gorilla?
- Katherine Applegate's The One and Only Ivan, though a fictional story, is based on the real gorilla named Ivan who was in capture for 27 years.