How well do you know the Hogwarts' houses?
What animal is associated with Ravenclaw?
- Despite popular belief, it is actually the eagle that is associated with Ravenclaw. The eagle represents broad vision and soaring above. Slytherin's mascot is a serpent, Gryffindor's is a lion, and Hufflepuff's is a badger.
Who is the founder of Gryffindor?
- Valuing both courage and bravery, Godric Gryffindor fought for all magical children to attend Hogwarts. Gryffindor was the founder of the sorting hat, which would be used centuries later. His house is associated with fire.
Who is the founder of Slytherin?
- Salazer Slytherin was known for being sly and cunning, believing only pure bloods should attend Hogwarts. This caused a huge fight with his best friend, Godric Gryffindor. Due to this, Slytherin left school, creating the Chamber of Secrets first.
Who is the founder of Ravenclaw?
- Rowena Ravenclaw was known for her intelligence and sharpness. She desired to make Hogwarts the finest Wizarding school in existence. Ravenclaw's house associates with the element of air.
Who is the founder of Hufflepuff?
- Helga Hufflepuff was known for her warmness and kindness. She believed that people should value kindness, patience, and loyalty above all else. Helena was best friends with Rowena. Her house corresponds with earth.
What is the Gryffindor heirloom?
- The Sword of Gryffindor was made by goblins before being owned by Godric. It is the only heirloom that was not made into a horcrux by Lord Voldemort.
What is the Slytherin heirloom?
- Slytherin's family heirloom was a gold locket with an S engraved in it. After years of passing through multiple hands, Tom Riddle tracked its location and killed the owner of the locket. He later turned the locket into his 3rd Horcrux.
What is the Hufflepuff heirloom?
- Hufflepuff created the cup herself, designing a gold cup with two handles and a badger on front. The cup is said to be the only object ever stolen from a vault in Gringotts Wizarding Bank. Lord Voldemort used the stolen cup as one of his Horcruxes.
What is the Ravenclaw heirloom?
- Ravenclaw's diadem is the only known relic that belonged to the house founder. The diadem (a sort of tiara) bestowed wisdom upon its wearer. It was later stolen by Helena, Rowena's daughter, before being made into a Horcrux by Lord Voldemort.
Before the sorting hat, how were students placed in houses?
- In the early days, each founder would handpick the students for each house. The four founders worried how accurate placement would be once they died, so Gryffindor decided to create the sorting hat.