Presidents' Day Quiz for Experts
Who was the first president born in a hospital?
- Carter was the first president born in a hospital.
What president acquired the Louisiana Territory from Napoleon?
- The Louisiana Purchase took place in 1803, during Jefferson's presidency.
What president declared the Americas "henceforth not to be considered as subjects for colonization by any European power"?
- Monroe's famous pronouncement became the foundation of the Monroe Doctrine, a basis of American foreign policy.
Who was the only president to serve two nonconsecutive terms?
- Cleveland was the 22nd and the 24th president of the United States.
Which of the following presidents was the son of a president?
- John Quincy Adams was the son of President John Adams.
What president extended the country's boundaries to the west coast?
- Polk brought about the Mexican War (1846-48), which resulted in the United States gaining California and part of the Southwest. Jefferson's Louisiana Purchase did not extend west of the Rockies: click here for a map.
Who was the first president born as a citizen of the United States?
- Van Buren was the first president born under the U.S. flag.
Who won the presidency by a single electoral vote?
- Hayes took office in the most contested election in U.S. history; the winner was not determined until three days before the inauguration.
Who was the youngest man to serve as president?
- Roosevelt was only 42 when he took over the presidency after McKinley's assassination. Kennedy was the youngest man to be elected president, at the age of 43.
Who was the first president to be impeached?
- Johnson was impeached in 1868, but not removed from office.