UK Remembrance Day: Traditions & History
Which British monarch was the first to observe Remembrance Day?
- After the end of WWI, King George V hosted the first commemoration at Buckingham Palace.
Who is the first person to lay a wreath during the National Commencement service?
- Leading the way, the current monarch of the UK will lay the first wreath on Remembrance Day
The start and end of the traditional silence is often marked by the firing of what weapon during ceremonies?
- This type of gun salute has been used for centuries as a mark of honor for distinguished persons, from royalty to ranking individuals, making it perfect to commemorate the war dead.
Members of the Royal family and the public sing what song after the main service?
- The tones of "God Save the King" always fill the air at the end of the memorial service.
The National Commencement service, with a choir from the Chapel Royal, is conducted by what person in the Church of England?
- The Bishop of London presides over many important religious gatherings for the Royal family, including Remembrance Day.
Conflict veterans from several wars march in the parade of veterans. Which of the following wars in not represented in the parade?
- Because the American Revolution predated the modern wars that took the most lives, it is not specifically remembered on this day. But the war dead are still in our minds!
At what building in central London, which was once the main palace of the British Monarch, is the National commemoration held?
- Located on Whitehall, in London, the Cenotaph is an important war memorial that was unveiled in 1920.
The Royal family assemble to the right of the Cenotaph monument and wait for what famous clock to strike 11:00?
- Big Ben is the famous clock of London, UK.
At what time of day is the moment of silence for veterans observed?
- The cease-fire of WWI that signaled the end of the conflict started at 11 a.m., commemorated on Remembrance Day.
Remembrance Sunday is observed on the second Sunday of what month?
- This is to commemorate the WWI cease-fire that came about after the Arnistice was signed in November, 1918.