The Deadly World of Mining Disasters
What was the cause of the 2010 Upper Big Branch mine disaster in West Virginia?
- An explosion killed 29 miners in the Upper Big Branch mining catastrophe. The explosion was caused by a buildup of methane and coal dust, as well as poor safety standards, according to investigations.
What was the deadliest mining disaster in history?
- The Benxihu Colliery catastrophe in China in 1942 is regarded as the deadliest mining disaster in history. Almost 1,500 miners died as a result of it.
What was the cause of the 2014 Mount Polley mine disaster in British Columbia, Canada?
- A tailings dam break triggered the Mount Polley mine catastrophe, releasing enormous amounts of mine waste and contaminated water into adjacent lakes and rivers.
What was the cause of the 2014 mine disaster in Soma, Turkey?
- A fire and explosion triggered the Soma mine accident, which killed 301 miners. According to investigations, the catastrophe was caused by weak safety measures and insufficient training.
What was the cause of the 1966 Aberfan disaster in Wales?
- A landslide buried a primary school and neighboring buildings, killing 116 children and 28 adults in the Aberfan disaster. The collapse of a coal mining waste tip caused the landslide.
What was the cause of the 2011 Pike River mine disaster in New Zealand?
- A gas explosion caused the Pike River mine catastrophe, which killed 29 men. The accident was caused by a buildup of methane gas and poor safety standards, according to investigations.
What was the cause of the 2014 Donbass coal mine disaster in Ukraine?
- A gas explosion killed 33 miners in the Donbass coal mine accident. The accident was caused by a buildup of methane gas and poor safety standards, according to investigations.
What was the cause of the 1958 Springhill mining disaster in Nova Scotia, Canada?
- The Springhill mining disaster was caused by a series of rock falls that killed 75 miners, called a “bump”. The disaster led to changes in Canadian mining laws and regulations.
What caused the Hillcrest mining catastrophe in Alberta, Canada in 1914?
- A coal ash explosion caused the Hillcrest mine tragedy, which killed 189 labourers. It was one of Canada's greatest mining disasters in history.
What was the cause of the 2010 Copiapó mining accident in Chile?
- A mine collapse kept 33 miners underground for 69 days, causing the Copiapó mining catastrophe. They were eventually rescued in a dramatic operation that captured the attention of the entire globe.