Hispanic America Quiz: People
What country did the Somoza family rule for over four decades?
- The last Somoza to rule was overthrown by revolution in 1979.
Find the priest who began the Mexican Revolution . . .
- Hidalgo is revered as the father of Mexican independence. Toribio Romo is a Mexican saint. Oscar Romero was archbishop of El Salvador.
Who painted the mural, "The History of Mexico"?
- Rivera's was painted for the Palacio National, Mexico City.
Who began the conquest of the Inca empire?
- In the 1530s, Francisco Pizarro captured and executed the Inca emperor Atahualpa.
Who led Mexican soldiers to victory on May 5, 1862?
- Both Zapata and Villa were leaders during the Mexican Revolution.
Who is widely honored in South America as the Liberator?
- Simon Bolívar led several South American countries to their independence. José Antonio Páez led Venezuela to independence from Colombia.
In the 18th century, what single thing did Europeans want most from Caribbean islands?
- In that century, the islands produced 80 to 90% of the sugar consumed in western Europe.
Atahualpa was a ruler in Mesoamerica. Was he emperor of . . .
- The Inca empire dominated the Andes region of South America.
Which country had Antonio López de Santa Anna as its leader?
- In 1836, Santa Anna led Mexican forces in the battle of the Alamo.
Who was the first explorer of the mainland United States?
- Ponce de León earned this claim to fame in an expedition to Florida in 1513.