How Well Do You Know Yorkshire?
What is the capital of Yorkshire?
- Often considered the historic county town of Yorkshire, York is home to numerous landmarks, including York Minster and York Castle.
Which famous confectionery company was founded in Yorkshire?
- The company Mackintosh's is known for creating its famous toffee, as well as the brands Rolo and Quality Street.
What is the name of the large mountain range in West Yorkshire?
- Often referred to as the "backbone of England," the Pennines run down the central part of Northern England, including West Yorkshire.
Which dog breed originated in the county?
- The Yorkshire Terrier is a small dog breed that was originally bred in the 19th century in the county of Yorkshire.
Which world-famous playwright was born in Yorkshire?
- The renowned playwright and author J.B. Priestley was born in the West Yorkshire city of Bradford.
What is the traditional Yorkshire dish made from batter and usually served with roast beef?
- Yorkshire Pudding is right. This classic British dish is a staple of the traditional Sunday roast.
Which famous sporting event has regularly visited Yorkshire since 2014?
- In 2014, Yorkshire hosted the Grand Depart of the Tour de France, and since then, it has hosted its own annual international cycle race, the Tour de Yorkshire.
Which major river flows through Yorkshire?
- The River Ouse runs through the city of York and is one of the longest rivers in the U.K.
Which two universities are based in the city of York?
- University of York and York St John University. Both these institutions are based in the historic city of York.
What is the largest populated area in Yorkshire?
- With a population of over 815,000, Leeds is the largest city in Yorkshire.