Television and Movie Trivia, 2006
What was the top-grossing film of 2006?
- The return of Captain Jack Sparrow easily outgrossed all others, bringing in $423 million. Cars, in second place, brought in $244 million.
What was the best-selling album of 2006?
- According to Nielsen SoundScan, nearly 3.8 million copies of the album were sold in 2006! The television movie also won an Emmy Award for Best Children?s Program.
What was the most-played song on the radio in 2006?
- Nielsen SoundScan said the song was played on the radio almost 400,000 times in 2006.
Who was voted the American Idol of 2006?
- The first album by Taylor Hicks was released in December. He's already been accorded one of pop music's highest honors: having one of his songs parodied by Weird Al Yankovic.
In September, who replaced Katie Couric as a co-host of The Today Show?
- In turn, O'Donnell took Vieira's place on The View. Meanwhile, Couric made history by becoming the sole anchor at the CBS Evening News.
She's the Man, starring Amanda Bynes, was based on which Shakespearean play?
- The movie's tagline sums everything up: Everybody has a secret... Duke wants Olivia who likes Sebastian who is really Viola whose brother is dating Monique so she hates Olivia who's with Duke to make Sebastian jealous who is really Viola who's crushing on Duke who thinks she's a guy...
The critically acclaimed reboot of the James Bond franchise, Casino Royale, was beaten at the U.S. box office by which film?
- Happy Feet, a movie about dancing penguins, left Bond shaken, not stirred.
Which of the following shows was not hosted by Rachael Ray in 2006?
- While Food Network star and media juggernaut Rachael Ray popularized the acronym "EVOO" for Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, she hasn't gone so far as to name a show after it. Yet.
Sasha Baron Cohen's character Borat brought which country to the world's attention?
- The film's full title was Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.
Snakes on a Plane became an Internet phenomenon on the strength of its title. How did the film itself do in theatrical showings, as of the end of 2006?
- The film was the most-seen movie on its opening weekend, but its ranking plummetted thereafter. The DVD will be released at the start of 2007.