The Egyptian Gods and Goddesses Quiz
What was the name of the original King of the Gods in ancient Egypt?
- In later eras, particularly under the reign of Mentuhotep I, Amon became conflated with the sun god, Ra or Re.
Which god killed Osiris, tearing him into 14 pieces and flinging them into the Nile River?
- Seth was the sworn adversary of Osiris and his son, Horus, and succeeded in killing the god — if only temporarily.
Who became the god of the underworld and resurrection, after he himself was resurrected by the goddess Isis?
- After being slain by the god Set and resurrected by his wife Isis, Osiris adopted the role of an underworld deity.
What was Khonsu the god of?
- Made popular in modern times through the Marvel television series "Moon Knight", Khonsu was a beloved deity representing the moon.
What was the jackal-headed god Anubis' role?
- Anubis was the god of the dead and was responsible for carrying the souls of the dead to the place of judgment in the underworld.
In Egyptian creation mythology, what was the personified name of the very first piece of earth that sprang forth from the primal chaos, creating the world?
- This was the first piece of Egypt that ever existed, and was revered as Tatenen, a deity that was both male and female in form.
Which god was the personification of the yearly Nile flood?
What was the goddess of birth, sexuality, and motherhood, among other things, who could also take the form of a cow?
- Known as Het-Hert in Egyptian, this iconic cow goddess began as the deity Bat, but later morphed into the more encompassing Hathor.
What was the goddess Maat known for?
- Maat was heavily associated with all forms of balance, often depicted with a feather of truth poised evenly on top of her head.
What other animalistic form did Bastet, the goddess associated with protection from evil, take on?
- Bastet was also the specific patroness of Bubastis, found in Lower Egypt, nestled in the Nile River's Delta area.