Quiz: The World of Calendars
Which civilization is credited with creating the first known calendar?
- The ancient Egyptians created the first known calendar around 5,000 years ago. It had 12 months of 30 days each, and an extra five days at the end of the year.
What is the name of the Islamic calendar?
- The Hijri calendar is a lunar calendar used in Islamic countries to determine important religious events.
How many days are in a leap year?
- A leap year occurs every four years, and has an extra day (February 29) to keep the calendar year synchronized with the astronomical year.
Which country still uses the Julian calendar for religious holidays?
- The Russian Orthodox Church still uses the Julian calendar to determine the dates of religious holidays.
What is the significance of the Mayan Long Count calendar?
- The Mayan Long Count calendar was used to track periods of time much longer than a typical calendar year, and could track dates up to millions of years in the past or future.
Which calendar is used by most of the world for civil purposes?
- The Gregorian calendar is the most widely used calendar in the world for civil purposes, including business and government.
What is the name of the Hindu calendar?
- The Panchangam is a Hindu calendar used to determine important religious dates and festivals.
How many months are in the Chinese calendar?
- The Chinese calendar has 12 months, and is based on the cycles of the moon.
Which calendar was used by the ancient Romans?
- The Julian calendar was created by Julius Caesar in 45 B.C., and was used by the ancient Romans.
What is the name of the Ethiopian calendar?
- The Coptic calendar is used in Ethiopia and is based on the ancient Egyptian calendar.