Can You Recount Hercules' Twelve Labors?
How did Hercules clean the Augean Stables?
- Laziness is truly a driver of ingenuity. The son of Zeus diverted the flow of a nearby river, completing the supposedly endless task in a day.
How many trials was Hercules supposed to complete originally?
- After the completion of his tenth trial, Hercules' cousin King Eursytheus declared that two of them did not count, and so he would have to complete two more.
Which of these creatures was Hercules not sent to kill?
- The Hind was an animal sacred to Artemis. King Eurystheus sent Hercules to catch it, in hopes that he would incite Artemis' wrath.
What did Hercules use to drive away the flock of birds near the lake?
- Hercules use a krotala to scare the birds out of the trees, where he shot them with arrows or slingshots.
What creature did Hercules capture that was later sent free?
- Hercules was easily able to capture the Cretan Bull, but when he brought it to King Eurystheus, Eurystheus set it free.
Who did Hercules end up killing?
- Eurystheus sent Hercules to capture the Mares of Diomedes, but after a battle, Hercules ended up killing Diomedes by feeding him to his mares.
What item of Hippolyte's did Hercules need to retrieve?
- Hippolyte's belt was given to her by Ares because she was the best warrior in the Amazons. Eurystheus wanted it to give as a gift to his daughter.
Who did the golden apples belong to?
- Hercules was sent to steal golden apples from Zeus. The apples were at the end of the world, guarded by a hundred-headed dragon and daughters of Atlas.
Who did Hercules need to kidnap from the Underworld?
- Hercules twelfth labor, the most dangerous, was to kidnap Cerberus from the Underworld. Hercules was able to obtain Ceberus with his bare hands.
How long did it take Hercules to finish the twelve labors?
- It took Hercules 12 years to complete his labors and become immortal. The last two were added because Eurystheus didn't count the hydra or Auguen Stable as properly done.