Top 100 Movie Quotes Quiz
Which of these quotable films from the list was not directed by Steven Spielberg?
- Spielberg did not direct Field of Dreams, although it's similar in tone to some of his work. Admittedly we cheated a bit since, despite the constantly quoted "[Then] it belongs in a museum!", Indiana Jones did not make the list.
Actor Marlon Brando is all over the list of top movie quotes. Of these top quotes, which one was not delivered by Brando?
- Clark Gable took the top spot on the AFI's list. Brando swept second and third, however. Brando won two Oscars in his long film career; one for his role in On the Waterfront, the other for The Godfather.
Which year in cinema has the most entries on the list?
- 1942 wins it on the back of Casablanca, which has six quotes on the list. 1967 has the the most individual movies (Cool Hand Luke, In the Heat of the Night, The Graduate, and Bonnie and Clyde).
Which of these is a misquote?
- The actual quote is "It's going to be a bumpy night." All of these are commonly misquoted, however; people often say "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore," "We're going to need a bigger boat" and "Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?"
Lots of book fans like to complain that movie adaptations "get things wrong." But sometimes they get things right. Which of these famous movie quotes appear in the books they're based on?
- Although the movie is different from the book in lots of ways, Count Dracula's famous line—talking about the howling of wolves outside his castle—is part of Bram Stoker's original novel.
The oldest movie on the list is The Jazz Singer (1927), with the quote “Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet!” What makes this line so special?
- The Jazz Singer was far from the first film to use blackface. It was, however, the first feature film to use spoken dialogue. This line is the first spoken line of the film, making it maybe the first "movie quote."
Which of these famous quotes wasn't improvised?
- A variation of this line is actually said in an earlier Bond film, but not by Bond himself.
What is the most recent film featured on the list?
- The second Lord of the Rings Film, the first to feature the character Gollum in a speaking role, was released in 2002.
Which of these quotes was delivered by famous actor Sidney Poitier?
- His role in In the Heat of the Night as a black detective investigating a crime in the rural South caused a stir in the Civil Rights era. Later that same year he starred in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? as a successful black doctor marrying a white woman.
Which of these highly quotable movies was directed by Francis Ford Coppola?
- Coppola, one of the biggest successes of the New Hollywood, also directed Apocalypse Now.