violence: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (vī'u-luns), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- swift and intense force: the violence of a storm.
- rough or injurious physical force, action, or treatment: to die by violence.
- an unjust or unwarranted exertion of force or power, as against rights or laws: to take over a government by violence.
- a violent act or proceeding.
- rough or immoderate vehemence, as of feeling or language: the violence of his hatred.
- damage through distortion or unwarranted alteration: to do editorial violence to a text.