Meaning of vessel
Pronunciation: (ves'ul), [key]
- a craft for traveling on water, now usually one larger than an ordinary rowboat; a ship or boat.
- an airship.
- a hollow or concave utensil, as a cup, bowl, pitcher, or vase, used for holding liquids or other contents.
- a tube or duct, as an artery or vein, containing or conveying blood or some other body fluid.
- a duct formed in the xylem, composed of connected cells that have lost their intervening partitions, that conducts water and mineral nutrients. Cf.
- a person regarded as a holder or receiver of something, esp. something nonmaterial: a vessel of grace; a vessel of wrath.
- vessel (Thesaurus)