van: Meaning and Definition of
- the foremost or front division of an army, a fleet, or any group leading an advance or in position to lead an advance.
- those who are in the forefront of a movement or the like.
- the forefront in any movement, course of progress, or the like.
— n., v., vanned, van•ning.
- a covered vehicle, usually a large truck or trailer, used for moving furniture, goods, animals, etc.
- a smaller boxlike vehicle that resembles a panel truck, often has double doors both at the rear and along the curb side, and that can be used as a truck, fitted with rows of seats, or equipped with living quarters for traveling and camping.
- a railway baggage car.
- a covered, boxlike railway car, as one used to carry freight.
- a small, horse-drawn wagon or a small truck, as one used by tradespeople to carry light goods.
- Also calleda conventional van whose cargo area has been equipped with living facilities, extra windows, and often increased headroom.
- to transport or carry (freight, passengers, etc.) in a van.
- to travel in a van.
Pronunciation: (van Du. vän), [key]
- from; of (used in Dutch personal names, originally to indicate place of origin).
- a wing.
Pronunciation: (van for 1, 2 also Turk. vän), [key]
- a salt lake in E Turkey. 1454 sq. mi. (3766 sq. km).
- a town on this lake. 88,597.
- a male given name.
- van (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.