unction: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ungk'shun), [key]
- an act of anointing, esp. as a medical treatment or religious rite.
- an unguent or ointment; salve.
- something soothing or comforting.
- an excessive, affected, sometimes cloying earnestness or fervor in manner, esp. in speaking.
- the oil used in religious rites, as in anointing the sick or dying.
- the shedding of a divine or spiritual influence upon a person.
- the influence shed.
- Seeextreme unction.
- the manifestation of spiritual or religious inspiration.
- unction (Thesaurus)