WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. unction, smarm, fulsomeness, compliment
- usage: excessive but superficial compliments given with affected charm
- 2. fulsomeness, oiliness, oleaginousness, smarminess, unctuousness, unction, hypocrisy
- usage: smug self-serving earnestness
- 3. ointment, unction, unguent, balm, salve, remedy, curative, cure, therapeutic
- usage: semisolid preparation (usually containing a medicine) applied externally as a remedy or for soothing an irritation
- 4. unction, inunction, anointing, anointment, religious ceremony, religious ritual
- usage: anointing as part of a religious ceremony or healing ritual
All rights reserved.
See also: unction (Dictionary)